The City of Denison urges everyone to use novelty and consumer fireworks responsibly during this Independence Day.
People are allowed to use fireworks within Denison city limits on Tuesday, July 3, from 1 until 10 p.m. and Wednesday, July 4, from 1 until 11 p.m.
People who plan to celebrate with fireworks are encouraged to review the following safety tips.
• Read and follow all safety directions on the fireworks. Do not use them in a manner for which they are not designed.
• Do not let small children handle, play or set off fireworks.
• Wear protective clothing.
• Discharge fireworks away from people, structures, and cars.
• Always have a bucket of water available to put out any accidental fires.
• Never attempt to re-light fireworks that have not discharged.
The following restrictions in the Code of Ordinances are included to prevent or limit injuries and fires caused by fireworks and their use in and around individuals, large gatherings or events, structures and the environment. See Denison’s Code of Ordinances, Chapter 40.15 for more specific information.
• People under the age of 18 cannot discharge fireworks without direct supervision by a parent or legal guardian. Fireworks shall not be discharged by persons showing visible signs of, or who are determined to be, intoxicated or under the influence of a drug or narcotic.
• Any person discharging a fireworks device assumes all responsibility for its operation and the consequences thereof. No person shall discharge a fireworks device in a reckless manner or manner likely to cause death, injury, fire, or property damage.
• It is unlawful to alter, remove, or discharge components of a fireworks device from its intended method of discharging. Sky lantern open flame devices are not permitted to be released within the city limits, except if tethered by a retrievable rope so long as the person discharging has control over the sky lantern.
• No person shall discharge or allow the use, explosion or other discharge of fireworks in any commercial or industrial rated building zone within the city limits.
• A person can only discharge fireworks on property they own or on property where consent has been expressly given. Fireworks cannot be discharged on City-owned or public property. No person shall discharge or allow the use of fireworks to occur within 50 feet of an occupied structure in the city limits. No person shall discharge or allow the use of fireworks within 10 feet of others, 10 feet of vehicles, or in areas where large public gatherings are present.